[Lexicog] Issues regarding a free dictionary

maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Mon Dec 12 00:57:13 UTC 2005

Andrew Dunbar wrote:
> I was very impressed with the Irish work though I don't know the language I
> have read "teach yourself" books a few times so I have an idea how tricky it
> is if not how it works minutely. I assume there is only one person/team
> actively working in the field of Irish spellchecking but again I could well be
> wrong.

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me that you're right.

Here's a link to Elaine Uí Dhonnchadha's web page about the Irish
project she's involved in:

   http://www.ite.ie/euid.htm

Page 20 in the PowerPoint presentation at
    http://www.ite.ie/links/cng.ppt
says that this was indeed used in the Irish spellchecker, but doesn't
give any details.

BTW, there's a good intro to finite state transducers, together with an
explanatino of how that can be useful for spell checking, at
    http://www.ite.ie/links/dublin-ite.ppt

	Mike Maxwell

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM