[Lexicog] Re: Particularity of Neapolitan grammar - origin?

Andrew Dalby akdalby at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 12 21:45:38 UTC 2005

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "Kees van Kolmeschate"
<keesvkolmeschate at h...> wrote:

> Funny that no one so far mentioned (modern) Greek (in this NeaPolitan
> context), where apparently the possessive pronoun(?) is appended to the
> noun:
> o fílos mou - my friend
> énas filos mou - a friend of mine
> and see the working of accents in
> o ánthropos - the man
> o ánthropós mou - my man
>

> > Example: your mother in Italian is "tua madre" and in
> Neapolitan "mammate"

Kees is right about modern Greek, of course, but it doesn't follow
that Neapolitan dialect could have inherited this feature from ancient
Greek. This clitic possessive pronoun was not present in classical
Greek. You can see signs of it in the New Testament (c. 75/100 AD),
but I believe Greek was in sharp decline in southern Italy by that time.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM