[Lexicog] Figurative expressions for "courage" in different language

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sat Feb 19 02:26:26 UTC 2005

  Peter,

  I have a lexicon of German words of Yiddish origin right in
  front of me. The expressions are great. I love this Chuzpe.
  Only the explanation about where it comes from is not
  enlightening. It certainly does not come from German.
  Maybe Hayim Sheynin, member of this list, can help.

  Fritz
  On 19/02/2005 01:43, Fritz Goerling wrote:

  >Hebrew "chutzpah" is an interesting word, too. Where does it
  >come from?

  Good question. Could it in fact be a from a variant of the biblical
  Hebrew root qof-tsade-pe "anger"?  The initial "ch" is more likely to
  represent het, but there is no bibical root het-tsade-pe.

  Or could it be from German via Yiddish?

  --
  Peter Kirk
  peter at qaya.org (personal)