[Lexicog] Re: Figurative expressions for "courage" in different language

Kees van Kolmeschate keesvkolmeschate at HETNET.NL
Sat Feb 19 23:22:00 UTC 2005

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Peter Kirk <peterkirk at q...>
wrote:

> On 19/02/2005 12:14, Fritz Goerling wrote:
> > I assume you are Dutch. Where does the expression "Dutch courage"
> > come from? :-)
>
> I wouldn't expect Kees to answer this one as it sounds rather
insulting.
> My guess would be that it is a reference to the drinking and
brawling
> habits of Dutch sailors in England.

I have no problem trying to answer the question, but I cannot do
better than Peter. In fact you should really consult a native speaker
of English, since one thing is certain: the expression was not
invented in the Netherlands (nor in Germany).
I think nice resumé of origins and applicability of "Dutch" is in
www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=dutch&searchmode=phrase .

greetings, Kees.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM