[Lexicog] Re: Figurative expressions for "courage" in different language

Jim and Cindi Farr j-c.farr at SIL.ORG.PG
Sun Feb 20 02:05:11 UTC 2005

The Korafe say for 'courage' eghovo dari  'chin to.hit'.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Tuggy" <david_tuggy at sil.org>
To: <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Re: Figurative expressions for "courage" in different
language

> In Nahuatl the words for "hard-harted" (yolchikawak, yolchikaktik, some
> place yolkuahtik) oscillate between meaning "courageous, steadfast" and
> meaning "stubborn, unresponsive, hardhearted". In some variants
> (languages) one form means one thing and another form the other, fairly
> often the same form has both kinds of meanings and only context lets you
> know which is which. Contexts where confusion is possible are not all
> that uncommon. Similarly, "soft-hearted" can mean "sensitive,
> responsive, soft-hearted, gentle" or "cowardly, wimpish".
>
> I don't know whether to think of these meanings as (in origin) semantic
> extensions from each other, or as potentially independent
> interpretations of "hard" as a figure for a psychological quality. I
> tend to think both. From the point of view of those admiring the stand a
> person takes against pressure, the person is being courageous, but from
> the point of view of those who think he should abandon that stand and
> are trying to persuade him to do so, he is being stubborn and
> hard-hearted. (Or she, of course.)
>
> The word chutzpah was mentioned in the beginning of this thread. I
> believe I was told it involves reference to the testicles ( -->
> manliness), and that it is therefore considered vulgar by many Yiddish
> speakers. As has been pointed out, other languages express courage via
> similar reference, including English (have the balls to do X). For both
> chutzpah and balls, I have the notion that more than courage is implied:
> a measure of "gall" mixed with the "guts".
>
> --David Tuggy
>
> Peter Kirk wrote:
>
> > On 19/02/2005 12:14, Fritz Goerling wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the information, Kees,
> > >
> > > I assume you are Dutch. Where does the expression "Dutch courage"
> > > come from? :-)
> > >
> > I wouldn't expect Kees to answer this one as it sounds rather insulting.
> > My guess would be that it is a reference to the drinking and brawling
> > habits of Dutch sailors in England.
> >
> > One Azerbaijani expression for "coward" also means "lung". Well, perhaps
> > not quite. The word "ciyer" can mean either "lung" or "liver", and they
> > are distinguished if necessary as white ciyer = lung, black ciyer =
> > liver. But white-ciyer as one word (aghciyer)  means "coward" - but a
> > better literal rendering would probably be "white-livered". And this can
> > actually be used in English as well, although more common but with the
> > same basic meaning is "lily-livered".
> >
> > A common figurative expression for "courage" in many languages
> > corresponds to "manliness", whereas "woman", used of a man, implies
> > cowardice. But I avoid such expressions because they are not
> > surprisingly offensive to women.
> >
> > --
> > Peter Kirk
> > peter at qaya.org (personal)
> > peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
> > http://www.qaya.org/
> >

> > --
> >

> > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pr3rhv/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=gr
oups/S=1709195911:HM/EXP=1108910916/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ienrf0n/*http://clk.
atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108824516540223>

oups/S=1709195911:HM/EXP=1108910916/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ienrf0n/*http://clk.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM