[Lexicog] Re: Figurative expressions for "courage" in different language

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sun Feb 20 18:35:21 UTC 2005

  On 19/02/2005 19:59, Fritz Goerling wrote:

  > A common figurative expression for "courage" in many languages
  > corresponds to "manliness",
  >
  >    Can you give examples? I would assume a  woman can be as courageous.

  Of course women can be as courageous, but that hasn't stopped men
  stereotyping them as cowardly. Examples:

  English: manly, manliness
  Russian: muzhestvo - from muzh "husband", muzhchina "man"
  Azerbaijani: mard, mardlik - from Persian mard "man"

  And what about German: männlich, Männlichkeit - don't they have this
  connotation?

       Same thing in German. In fact, cowardice is considered unmanly.
       It is just a negative human character trait. As women can be
courageous, they be cowards, too.
       But I would not stereotype women as cowards.
       The title of a famous theatre play in German is "Mother Courage" (by
Bert Brecht).

       Fritz
  --
  Peter Kirk