[Lexicog] stereotypical beliefs and lexicography

Kees van Kolmeschate keesvkolmeschate at HETNET.NL
Mon Feb 21 23:09:59 UTC 2005

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Hanks" <hanks at b...>
wrote:
> ... Does Dutch have derogatory expressions involving "English"?  Or
is Dutch stereotypically more polite -- or more parochial -- than
English?

The only expression with "English" in Dutch, apart form a few really
harmless technical terms, that comes to my mind is "Engelse ziekte"
(English disease) = "rachitis".
Probably the influence of England on Holland was less than the one
vice
versa; due to England's insular (insulating?) position? England seems
to have had less direct impact on us than e.g. France, and German
Bishops.
At any rate I hardly recall from my History lessons in primary school
much more about England than the "English wars # 1 .. 4" and Michiel
Adriaanszn De Ruiter sailing up the Medway and breaking the
protective chain over the river.

hartelijke groeten,

Kees.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM