[Lexicog] stereotypical beliefs and lexicography

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Tue Feb 22 02:28:20 UTC 2005

On 21/02/2005 23:09, Kees van Kolmeschate wrote:

>At any rate I hardly recall from my History lessons in primary school
>much more about England than the "English wars # 1 .. 4" and Michiel
>Adriaanszn De Ruiter sailing up the Medway and breaking the
>protective chain over the river.

We English, or many of us, are also grateful for when William of Orange
landed in Britain in 1689, by invitation to become our king and
guarantee our liberties which were under threat. But I had better not
say more as this could stir up political and religious  arguments which
are still not buried deeply, indeed still lie behind conflict in Ireland.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM