[Lexicog] stereotypical beliefs and lexicography

Margarita Correia margarita-c at NETCABO.PT
Tue Feb 22 10:38:00 UTC 2005

> Do all languages contain derogatory stereotypes about neighbouring
> peoples? ...

In Portugal, we have at least one derogatory expression about Spanish,
our "historical enemies".
We say that "De Espanha, nem bom vento nem bom casamento" (From Spain,
neither good wind nor good marriage").
I don't know if in Brazil they use the same expression or if they have
others (I guess they must have some about Argentina).

We also have several stereotypical expressions about people from other
countries. For instance, we say "Ver-se grego / negro para fazer
qualquer coisa" (Literally: to feel like a Greek / black person to do
something), wich is used to qualify things very difficult to do or very
hard (demanding lots of strenght). Note that the words "grego" and
"negro" in Portuguese have a very similar form.
In the case of grego, the basis of the expression is the written form of
this language (with a different alphabet) and for black people, the
basis is slavery, I guess.

When something is very difficult, very tricky, we usually say "Isso é
chinês para mim" (literally: this is Chinese for me).

These are only some examples. We have much more.

Have a nice time.

Margarita Correia

margarita-c at netcabo.pt