[Lexicog] stereotypical beliefs and lexicography

Patrick Hanks hanks at BBAW.DE
Tue Feb 22 11:05:51 UTC 2005

Thanks, Kees.

Interesting that rachitis (rickets) is "the English disease" in Dutch. No doubt the
disease was common in the 17th century, when the Dutch sailed up the Medway,
to the consternation of my ancestors. Although rickets was virtually eliminated
England (following the discovery that it is a result of Vitamin D deficiency),
the derivative adjective _rickety_ is still quite common --- but now it's normally
applied to built artefacts, rather than people.  The most significant collocations
in BNC (with frequency and MI score) are:

rickety ...
      stair(s)  12  18.3
      table  16  14.9
      staircase  7  12.8
      bridge  7  11.7
      ladder  5  11.5
      chair  6  8.2
      shed  3  7.3
      hut  3  7.1
      step(s)  5  7.0

Another example of the persistence of folk culture and the arbitrariness
of linguistic convention.

Patrick