[Lexicog] stereotypical beliefs and lexicography

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Feb 22 15:43:19 UTC 2005

Patrick,

Concerning the many epithets in English about the Dutch, my guess is that
"those who love each other tease each other" (German saying).
And concerning Dutch stereotypical "politeness", maybe the explanation comes
from Noah J. Jacobs'"Naming Day of Eden" (The MacMillan Company Collier
MacMillan Ltd., LOndon 1958), pp. 65-66:

"The Dutch themselves have made no attempt to retaliate ...  This enviable
absence of rancor is typical  of the forbearing spirit of the land that gave
birth to
such champions of tolerance as Grotius, Erasmus and Spinoza, every whit as
noble as Hesiod, Pindar and Plutarch, who saw the light amid the heavy mist
of Boeotia. "

Fritz Goerling

  --- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Hanks" <hanks at b...>
  wrote:
  > ... Does Dutch have derogatory expressions involving "English"?  Or
  is Dutch stereotypically more polite -- or more parochial -- than
  English?

  The only expression with "English" in Dutch, apart form a few really
  harmless technical terms, that comes to my mind is "Engelse ziekte"
  (English disease) = "rachitis".
  Probably the influence of England on Holland was less than the one
  vice
  versa; due to England's insular (insulating?) position? England seems
  to have had less direct impact on us than e.g. France, and German
  Bishops.
  At any rate I hardly recall from my History lessons in primary school
  much more about England than the "English wars # 1 .. 4" and Michiel
  Adriaanszn De Ruiter sailing up the Medway and breaking the
  protective chain over the river.

  hartelijke groeten,

  Kees.