[Lexicog] stereotypes, taboos, and lexicography

Patrick Hanks hanks at BBAW.DE
Tue Feb 22 14:09:31 UTC 2005

Very good questions.  Thanks for stirring up the brain cells,
Thapelo.

Let's consider an example that could be controversial, and think
what guidelines we might come up with. Thinking back to my
childhood in the 1950s (again), the expression "nigger in the
woodpile" (meaning an unexpected or hidden snag) was then
quite common, and I believe that no one around me at that time
(my parents and their circle, living in middle-class southern
England, not America) had any thought of black people or intention
to be offensive when using it. I'm not denying that it IS offensive,
just drawing attention to the unthinking was in which we used idioms.
In fact, I can remember the sense of a penny dropping back in the
sixties when someone pointed out that it is offensive. The expression
is in Collins English Dictionary (1979) but we left it out of the New
Oxford Dict. in 1998. Why?

We felt justified in ignoring it because (mercifully) the expression
seems to have become obsolete. We did not, for example, find it
in the British National Corpus.The language appears to have
regulated itself. Certainly, NODE, a one-volume practical dictionary
of English, had no wish to revive the term!  It's more difficult for the
OED, which is a dictionary of record on historical principles, with an
obligation to record "the language as it is [and was], not as we would
wish it to be."

About eight or nine years ago in America the NAACP mounted
a campaign, in my opinion misjudged, to persuade dictionary
publishers to remove the term "nigger" from dictionaries, apparently
under the impression that dictionaries regulate the language or that
removing a word from dictionaries removes it from the language.
Anyone who has ever travelled on the subway from Manhattan to
JFK Airport will know that the term is alive and well, and much used
among Black people speaking to Black people (males only??),
apparentl without any hostile derogatory, or racist intent. The point
about it is (I think -- am I right?) that it is a word that can ONLY be
used by Black people (or perhaps only by Black Americans). In the
mouth of a white person it is incredibly offensive, breaching the
most solemn taboo in the language. Such facts need to be reported
lexicographically (don't they?), insofar as such terms are still used.
The lexicographer cannot regulate them, and can only ignore them if
they die quietly by themselves.

What do other people think?

Patrick