[Lexicog] stereotypical beliefs and lexicography

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Feb 22 17:58:37 UTC 2005

Wayne and Thapelo,

Where do we draw the line? If we have a politically correct dictionary,
certain entries will be marked sexist, racist, or homophobic or not even
be mentioned. Of course, there are dictionaries of certain subcultures,
slang or argot dictionaries.
But if we want to produce a GENERAL dictionary for the whole population
of an ethnic group, where do we draw the line about what to include and/
or what to mark as slang etc.? The "positive social role"  you are talking
about, Wayne,  cannot consist of  expunging unwanted words and expressions
("unwanted" by dictionary-makers who have a certain political or whatever
agenda; impartiality does not really exist in these matters, as far I am
concerned).
Certain great books (the Bible) or authors (Shakespeare) have enriched
the vocabulary of English enormously. Can biassed dictionary-makers
expurgate the English language because such and such expressions are
from the Bible or from a "white dead male" (Shakespeare)? A certain
Thomas Bowdler, an editor in Victorian times tried to rewrite Shakespeare,
removing all profanity so as not to offend the sensibilities of the
audiences
of his day (hence the term "to bowdlerize"). It did not work.
Thapelo, can you tell me more about Terry Eagleton's position in the
chapter of "Literary Theory"?

Fritz Goerling

  Thapelo,

  My own thought is that a thorough dictionary can, and perhaps should,
include all derogatory information, but I think lexicographers can have a
positive social role and clearly mark such lexical entries as rascist.

  Wayne
  -----
  Wayne Leman
  Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language

    How would such derogatory information be represented in dictionaries?
"Its all Greek to me", may not be as offensive as "work like a Black" and I
would think that "work like a slave" would also be less offensive. And does
a lexicographer have a responsibility in challenging steretypes through
dictionary entries? Or his role should be better seen as that of a scientist
from without looking in as it were, merely describing the uses of language
that he sees. But does impartiality really exist in these matters or one is
either challenging the status quo or endorsing it (a Terry Eagleton position
in the later chapter of Literary Theory )? Put differently, are certain
entries like 'work like Black' racist when used by racist communities and
also racist when entered and discussed by lexicographers? In this case the
lexicographer guilty of participating in the development and sustainance of
racist views. On the other hand, would it be accurate to leave ! them out
from a dictionary?