[Lexicog] stereotypical beliefs and lexicography

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Feb 22 20:18:32 UTC 2005

MensagemCould you conceive of marking certain words as "sexist" in a general
dictionary which are considered as "sexist"
by certain people, like:

mankind, man-made, manpower, manslaughter, manhole

Fritz Goerling

  I can add a story in a different direction.
  When I worked in Tetum-Portuguese dictionary with Luís Costa, (Tetum is
the vehicular language spoken in East-Timor) we decided to include unpolite
names of sex organs and corporal functions, as we thought that it could be
usefull for instance for Portuguese doctors to communicate with their
pacients. However, all those entries were marked as unspite and they only
contained a remission to the polite equivalent term.
  It's worth saying that the dictionary was mostly thought of as a way of
preserving East-Timor culture (it was started long before the process of
independence, in 1995) and, if the independence of the country ever
occurred, as a way to promote cooperation with Portugal.
  Well, I can tell you that, in spite of the way we treated those terms, our
iniciative was very criticized in East-Timorese society, specially within
Church members, who considered very shocking to see such words in the
dictionary.

  Margarita