[Lexicog] bilingual lexicography

Nina Tunac janina_tunac at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 23 19:17:51 UTC 2005

Hi.  I'm new to this group and was wondering if anyone has any information on:

1. whether bilingual Spanish/ English lexicography is a realistic profession to pursue

and

2. if so, what is the best way to break into this line of work, specifically in the US but also the UK and Europe (I've gotten the sense that it's bigger in the UK and Spain)

and

3. whether an MA in Spanish or general linguistics would help

I have previous experience working as a bilingual Spanish/ English lexicographer for a linguistic engineering company in Barcelona called CLiC (Centro de Lenguaje y Computacion); however it was a short 3 month contract job.  I loved it, but moved back to the US 3 years ago and have since worked as a brand consultant, though I realize now that bilingual lexicography is what I really want to do.

Any advice, thoughts, leads, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Nina Tunac