[Lexicog] stereotypes, taboos, and lexicography

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Wed Feb 23 20:53:25 UTC 2005

You're right, not originally. At a critical stage of things, in Gaul
apparently, when serfs attached to old Roman villas were called
villains, and their conquerors were the Franks. I spoke sloppily--sorry.
If I remember the story right, by 1066 the "ethical" meanings of the
words was already there in Norman French, which was indeed where English
got the terms.

--David Tuggy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM