[Lexicog] Digest Number 286

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Thu Feb 24 16:33:11 UTC 2005

I have heard it comes from Chretien, but I have also been told it
probably does not. In any case, if it does, it probably did not arise in
the same way, i.e. by a low-status word coming to mean a negative
evaluation. More likely it would have been a kind of euphemism: a
negatively evaluated designatum dignified by a high-status word. Does
that make sense?

I perhaps should have mentioned the word "fundamentalist", which is much
further along the road to being a (mere) smear-word.

--David Tuggy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM