[Lexicog] rules when it comes to latin word roots

arun deostroll at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 28 15:49:45 UTC 2005

Your reply was indeed helpful. It was something I was not aware until
now.

But I make words for a hobby. I don't have a explicit knowledge to
create words as such. It was after reading a book of Norman
Lewis, "Building your word power", that I've been obsessed with word-
making as such. There must be a free place on the web where I can see
if such words exist. If they do not exist, I do want to learn why it
does not exist; I want to know the rules if any.

For example, here is a word I've created, which is supposed to
mean 'a sad or 'heavy'(?) feeling'- (it might sound stupid!):-
 "Gravipathy". It is supposed to be a gloomy feeling you get after
one has written his exam paper rather badly. I checked it up google;
it does not exist. I've concoted this word after looking up the
etymologies of wds like gravity, grieve, sentiment, sad, sorrow,
gloomy, depress... just abt everything I knew and could find in the
dictionary. Can you say why it does not exist?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM