[Lexicog] Re: Shoebox thoughts

Susan Gehr sgehr at KARUK.US
Thu Jan 27 20:26:07 UTC 2005

On the Windows side, Shoebox has been superseded by Toolbox <http://www.sil.org/
computing/toolbox/index.htm>.

On the Mac side, Shoebox 5 is the current version.  I hear rumors and speculation that
Toolbox may be coming for Mac OS X.  I sure hope so!  I experienced a lot of random
crashes when trying to use Shoebox while running the Classic environment of OS X.  I have
no such problems when booted into OS 9, so I maintain some machines that run OS 9 just
so I can keep using Shoebox.  I would like to be able to not be dependent on OS 9
anymore, as support/compatibility for it just keeps withering away.

In my opinion, Shoebox is indeed a very difficult program to learn how to use well.  I beat
my head against the Shoebox wall for well over two years before I finally went and took a
two-week course on Shoebox. Pre-training, when I ran into a problem, I had no idea how
to solve it.

Post-training, I am able to work through my troubles and make Shoebox do what I need it
to do. I think I have an idea how Shoebox wants me to 'talk' to it.

Now I feel like I'm using it with some success, and the Karuk language dictionary has over
6,000 entries.

Are you interested in working with your Shoebox files again? If so, I'm willing to try to
answer any Shoebox questions you might have, as I think other folks on this list might be.

yootva,
Susan Gehr
Karuk Language Program Director
Karuk Tribe of California