[Lexicog] On supposed "double negatives"

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 31 22:17:42 UTC 2005

In my work with Uto-Aztecan languages I have not encountered double
negatives with a resultant negative meaning. Quite the contrary. For
example, Hopi has two negatives, qa and son or so'on. When they cooccur in
the same clause, the result is positive, meaning necessarily, surely, it
must be. Here's an example from the Hopi Dictionary (under son):

Pay naat son ason qa yokvani.
well yet NEG eventually NEG will.rain
It will inevitably rain when the time comes.

--Ken

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM