[Lexicog] Circumfixes

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Thu Jul 7 17:25:55 UTC 2005

I will try this again because the ... didn't turn out so well.

Andy Black asked:

> I'm wondering what the standard ways are to show circumfixes in lexical
> entries.
>
> For example, does one create only one entry with the circumfix or does one
> create, say, three entries:
>
>  1.. The left member (presumably a prefix)
>  2.. The right member (presumably a suffix)
>  3.. A combination of the two members.
> In the entry for the circumfix, how does one typically indicate its form?
>
> What does one do if either or both members of the circumfix have
> allomorphy?

Here is an example I pulled out of one dictionary:
An affix consisting of a prefix and a suffix, such as the progressive
present marker a- ... -ing in dialectal English I'm a-going or the past
participle marker y- ... -t in archaic English yclept.

Since a circumfix functions as a unit I think it should be entered as such
in a dictionary. The ... indicates the connection. For allomorphs you would
treat them the same as for any other affix.

On a technical point, since circumfix is defined as "an affix made up of two
separate parts which surround and attach to a root or stem", an arrangement
of infix + suffix functioning as a unit is not a circumfix. But it would be
interesting to know if such things exist.

John Roberts