[Lexicog] Origin and synonyms of "wimp"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Thu Jul 7 23:04:00 UTC 2005

David,

Ve have vays of makink zem vimps obey zee rules.

vith vim and vigor,
FG

Anyhow, in some Orizaba towns, the split seems to
be developing along such lines that a form with w is "bigger" or
"stronger", whereas the variant with "v" is the small, veak, vimpy vun.
E.g. kuavitl = stick, kuawitl = tree, mokokova "be uncomfortable/sick",
mokokowa "be seriously ill, injure yourself" cf. nechkokowa "he/it
hurts/wounds me" and nechkokova "it bothers/hurts me."

--David Tuggy