[Lexicog] FileMaker Pro 7

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Sat Jul 16 06:32:37 UTC 2005

I know of several dictionary projects that have used FMPro and it is quite
possible to build a database with related tables that starts you on your
way. I think it has real problems in allowing arbitrarily long and complex
entries, but it does have a great data entry facility, with the
possibility of having lots of controlled vocabularies. Version 7's XML
export allows you to do interesting things with XSL conversions. The
projects that kept using FMPro until they built sizeable dictionaries (say
over 3000 headwords) had terrible problems in getting the data represented
in a word-processing document, but that could be because they built arcane
data structures with lots of scripts that made the data itself less
accessible than it should have been.

But all of this doesn't go near Shoebox/Toolbox as a serious dictionary
database with the added functionality of a text-glossing tool. But it
lacks the easy interface that FMPro provides. Nevertheless, I reckon it is
well worth a little effort to learn how to use Shoebox/Toolbox.

Nick