[Lexicog] shoebox

Kim Blewett kim_blewett at SIL.ORG
Fri Jul 22 13:38:30 UTC 2005

Nick,
What Neal Brinneman said sounds good. You might also read in the Toolbox
help file about "word formulas." I haven't worked with them in a while, so I
can't actually suggest a formula for your example, but they can be quite
useful to specify the parsing of, for example, complex verbs. Your example
looks pretty similar to what I've dealt with. For example, /-e/ can be
either a verb or a noun suffix; I defined "Verb" with a few word formulas as
something like:
	Root +/-Habitual +Subject +Transitive_marker +/-Tense
These categories match what's in the \ps field for the affixes (the three
suffixes marking transitivity all have "\ps Transitive_marker."
I found the Help file quite useful for composing these formulas. It's under
"Interlinearizing" in the Help Contents, then under Parsing.
Hope you get it worked out!
Kim Blewett

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Nicholas Thieberger
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:10 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Lexicog] shoebox

Apologies if this has already been dealt with, but is there a way of
making Shoebox/Toolbox parse a minimal rather than a maximal unit? A
colleague has a problem with parsing a Papuan language in which a
form, e.g. geneba can be parsed maximally as gen-eba, but the actual
parse is ge-n-e-ba. This is highly productive in the language and
could be dealt with by inserting hyphens in the text, but I hope
there is a more elegant solution.

Thanks

Nick

--

Project Manager
PARADISEC

nicholas.thieberger at paradisec.org.au
Department of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
University of Melbourne
Vic 3010
Australia

Ph 61 (0)3 8344 5185