[Lexicog] lexicographylist query

adrian_p_smith adrian_p_smith at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 26 23:04:18 UTC 2005

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "Ron Moe" <ron_moe at s...> wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> I wasn't sure if you were directing your question to me
> personally or to the whole group, since I wrote most of the
> two messages you referred to. There are some good
> lexicographers and linguists on the list who know more than
> I do. I would be happy to answer any questions you might
> have, but you might want to address them to the whole group.
> I have gained a great deal from the discussions, and value
> everyone's insight, knowledge, and experience. If a
> discussion develops between two people that is not of
> general interest, we will sometimes take it offline.

Hi. Well, I'd intended to direct it to you personally but Yahoo
Groups' "send email" function seems to post to the group as well, how
not very intuitive. Never mind.

So anyway, do you (or anyone else) know of anyone who might be working
on a database of English lexical phrases to be accessible to learners?
 I'm an English teacher and occasional hobby coder knowing little as
yet about lexicography or database design, but a journey of a thousand
miles begins with a single step etc. All I know of at the moment is
PiE at http://pie.usna.edu/, which has no semantic/pragmatic content
afaict, and a couple of proprietary things like
http://www.circlenoetics.com/Iow.aspx and
http://www.phrases.org.uk/index.html.

--
Adrian Smith