[Lexicog] Equivalents for German "Heimat"

Marco Baroni baroni at SSLMIT.UNIBO.IT
Thu Jun 2 08:45:50 UTC 2005

I think there is no proper translation for Heimat in Italian, either.

"Patria" works for the more political meaning -- country one belongs to
and should defend in case of a war? -- and at least to me it has a vaguely
negative connotation because it was over-used during fascism and it
strongly collocates with war-related terms.

"Casa" in the sense of English "home sweet home" (but, as far as I can
tell, we don't even distinguish between "home" and "house", either -- they
are both "casa").

Regards,

Marco

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM