[Lexicog] Equivalents for German "Heimat"

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin hsheynin at GRATZ.EDU
Thu Jun 2 17:59:29 UTC 2005

Funny enough Russian "otechestvo" (patria) was also over-used by the
marching generals and military aristocracy. Russian nationalistic press
(they are shy to call themselves Nazis or fascists) use both of Russian
names for concept 'patria, fatherland' for their slogans. They refer to
themselves as "patriots" (having in mind: 'patria' is for patricians).

Best wishes,
Hayim

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Marco Baroni
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 1:40 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Equivalents for German "Heimat"

Thanks for the explanation.

I was just talking to an Austrian colleague here in Vienna, and we both
felt that we would use the terms patria (I) and Heimat (him) only
jokingly, as they seem to correlate in our minds with a constellation of

unpleasent things (Fascism/Nazism, wars, and the like...)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM