[Lexicog] Equivalents for German "Heimat"

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin hsheynin at GRATZ.EDU
Thu Jun 2 18:51:57 UTC 2005

Dear Marco,

Do you speak Ladin?

Best wishes,
Hayim

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Marco Baroni
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:33 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Equivalents for German "Heimat"

Dear Fritz,

I hope you did not get the impression that I'm suggesting that one
should
avoid the words Heimat or patria. I was just being descriptive, stating
the connotations that it has for me and my colleague (not because of a
precise ideological standing, but simply out of collocational power or
something like that, I guess...)

> By the way, where are you from in Italy (if you are Italian)?
> Would you call the place where you were born and maybe grew up
> "terra natia"?

I am from Bolzano/Bozen, at the boundary with Austria (so, a Heimat
besides a patria ;-) ), and no, I would never call it a terra natia,
because that term is archaic ("lougo di nascita" sounds too
bureaucratic,
"terra natale" too solemn -- I guess I would simply say "la mia citta'"

(my city/town), which is a term I would never use for the place where I
live.)

Regards,

Marco

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM