[Lexicog] opposite of orphan

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sun Jun 5 07:43:58 UTC 2005

In most of the English dictionaries I have looked at *orphan* means 'a child
who has lost both (biological) parents through death'. So the opposite, as
applied to the parent reciprocant in the relationship, would be a parent (or
parents) who has lost all their (biological) children through death. Since
this is a more unusual occurrence I can see why a special term has not
apparently been developed in English. Also while orphanhood in this sense is
a permanent state, a parent who has lost all their children is not
necessarily a permanent state. There would be the possibility of having more
children. Also orphanhood has the connotation of lacking the caring support
of parents whereas the state of a parent who has lost children does not have
this connotation. So while you can call a 9 year old an orphan if both his
parents died you couldn't really call a 39 year old married with three
children an orphan if both his parents died.

While the term *orphan* in English comes from the late Latin *orphanus*
which is from the Greek *orphanos* 'bereaved', the term suggested by
Benjamin Barrett of *bereaved parent* doesn't fit the bill, since this means
'a parent who has lost a close relative or loved one through death'. The
bereavement is not limited to children. So you need a term like:

"bereaved of children" or "child-bereaved/bereft".

The last term would be opposite to *orphan* (parent-bereaved/bereft).

John Roberts

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM