[Lexicog] Equivalents for German "Heimat"

mohd hans muhammadmh2002 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 5 13:49:27 UTC 2005

Hello everyone, hi Fritz!
It's a nickname probably inherited from some Dutch connections within the family. The Arabic triliteral root for kheimat is kh-y-m. Some derivatives are: (1) the verb khayyam "to build a tent, a house, a home, etc."; (2) the plural of kheimat is khiyam or khiyaam.  Nothing is surprising in our linguistic world. Words travel all over the place from East to west and vice versa. I don't think that the historical dictionaries are the works of God, do you, Fritz?
Regards to you and to all!
MH

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:
Hans Muhammad,

Your name is most interesting: German and Arabic.
So is what you say about Kheimat. Only I would be very surprized if there were any
connection between Arabic Kheimat and German Heimat.The origin of the German word
is according to Grimm's dictionary:
Heimat; Old High German. heimoti; Middle High German. heimôte, heimote, heimôt, heimuôt
The Staatslexikon (Herder-Verlag; Sp. 1235) points to the common germanic root heim
(see related engl. home); word stem: heimüete, heimot

Fritz Goerling

Hello dear LEXICOGRAPHERS:
The German word Heimat reminds me of the word Kheimat or Khema "tent".  For a desert dweller, this means his home, homeland, beloved home... etc.
A more nationalistic word used nowadays is watan. ( t , here, is an emphatic consonant).
A more sentimenal word is: balad.
Regards
Muhammadmh2002 at yahoo.com

apa mapa <apamag at yahoo.com> wrote:
I have lived in Thailand. My language for "hometown" is "ºéÒ¹à¡Ô´"(ba:n-kert) or "ºéÒ¹à¡Ô´àÁ×ͧ¹Í¹" (ba:n-kert-muang-no:n). If you would like to say "home", you have to say "ºéÒ¹" (ba:n)

Regards,
Phornpimon

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:
I am looking for equivalents in other languages for German
"Heimat" in its sentimental sense.  "Heimat" in German can
mean one's home country, one's "fatherland, homeland"
(speakers of other languages refer to their "motherland").
In its sentimental sense one can paraphrase the concept as
a safe haven, a familiar, comfortable, tranquil place,
a place where one feels loved."
English "home" comes the closest to German "Heimat" in
expressions like "home is where the heart hurts." Or
"Wo ist deine Heimat?" can be translated into English
by "Where is home for you?" (although German "Heim" and
English "home" are also equivalents in a more concrete
sense).

Fritz Goerling