[Lexicog] opposite of orphan

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sun Jun 5 16:51:54 UTC 2005

John, it might be that "half orphan" is an Americanism. I think I've heard
it all my life (and I am American).

Perhaps it doesn't appear in dictionaries because is a binomial and I think
many binomials do not appear in dictionaries, sadly enough.

I just checked on e-dictionary (American Heritage) for another binomial
"double cousin" and it, also, was not listed. We are particularly interested
in double cousins since two or our children are the parents of double
cousins. (Our son married his brother-in-law's sister.)

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Better Bibles Blog: http://englishbibles.blogspot.com