[Lexicog] Equivalents for German "Heimat"

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 5 19:05:39 UTC 2005

The connection between "heim-" of "Heimat" and English "home" seemed
obvious from the start of this discussion, but does anyone know about the
"-at" element? Is this element, "-oti" in Old High German, according to
Fritz's citation, found in other vocabulary? Is it the remnant of an old
compounded element? Does it correspond to anything in English or other
Germanic languages?

This brings up another question: Does anyone know of a useful etymological
dictionary of German for people who don't read German very well? In fact,
I'd like to see the list address the general question of etymological
dictionaries and of etymologies in dictionaries.

--Ken

... German Heimat.The origin of the German word

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM