[Lexicog] frequency counts as a lexicographic measure

Christopher Brewster C.Brewster at DCS.SHEF.AC.UK
Sun Jun 5 21:49:12 UTC 2005

This raises an interesting issue.
I feel 873 occurrences in Google is not very great.

Two points:
1. How frequent does a term have to be to merit lexicographic attention?
Does this make sense in the ever expanding Internet universe?
2. Given the extensive discussion on the corpora list about the
unreliability of Google counts, how do we interpret 873 occurrences in
Google?

Thoughts?

Christopher Brewster

Natural Language Processing Group,
Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield
Tel: +44(0)114-22.21967  Fax: +44 (0)114-22.21810
Regent Court, 211 Portobello Street
Sheffield   S1 4DP   UNITED KINGDOM
Web: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~kiffer/
A definition is the enclosing a wilderness of an
idea within a wall of words.---  Samuel Butler