[Lexicog] feugo etymology (was: Hogar)

Chaz and Helga Mortensen chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Mon Jun 6 16:02:04 UTC 2005

Mike,

You have to take stress placement into account here as well. Fuego has
stress on the first syllable and the /o/ (I can never remember if it's
the Latin
/o/ or /o:/) becomes -ue-. (If the /o/ does not change in this
situation it comes from the other Latin /o/.)
In fogon and fogata, the /o/ is not stressed and maintains its quality.
This rule applies no matter what the preceding consonant, as far as I
know, and is analogous to the rule that causes one of the Latin /e/s to
become -ie-, as in tener >> tiene.

-Chaz

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM