[Lexicog] boring question

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Mon Jun 6 21:11:56 UTC 2005

There's something about the meaning of "bored/boring" that fits
especially well with the idea of continuation, on-going-ness, same-old
same-old, which might help explain why "boring" would overgeneralize at
the expense of "bored" rather than verce visa. "I'm bored" does not
(clearly) mean, like you might expect a past participial passive-like
verb to do, "I underwent an experience of boredom (and am now
experiencing the aftermath)", but "I am now experiencing an ongoing
state of boredom".

--David Tuggy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM