[Lexicog] feugo etymology

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Mon Jun 6 21:31:25 UTC 2005

You also get examples like hierro 'iron', fierro '(iron) tool',
ferreteria 'hardware store', herradura 'horseshoe', etc. The stress and
diphthongization stuff is relevant to some extent, but not
determinative. As the example shows, you can get both forms with and
without stress and a following diphthong. And yes, Spanish has quite a
few examples of the same Latin root occurring in a much-adapted form, a
survival or product of centuries of popular use, and a less-adapted
form, often a later re-borrowing from the Latin of the educated (e.g.
leche 'milk' lacteos 'milk-derived products').

By the way, it wasn't till I read in Lewis & Clark's journal the
description of a "halk" in flight that it dawned on me that hawk and
falcon (Spanish halcón) are related via this same f > h change.

(For any who may not know it, the h in Spanish is not pronounced at all,
but is a sort of graphic remnant or fossil. The h in the English hawk,
however, is pronounced.)

--David Tuggy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM