[Lexicog] Arabic root of "word" and "injure"

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin hsheynin at GRATZ.EDU
Tue Jun 7 15:14:34 UTC 2005

Dear Dil,

I apologize for incorrect information I gave yesterday. I replied from
the top of the head without consulting the dictionaries. Yes, Wehr gives
the meaning of "wound, cut" and there are similar meaninings in some
Aramaic dialects too, while in other Semitic languages it has only
figurative meaning "to harm morally, to put to shame, etc." However,
look how Wehr is doing this. He put the word with such meaning out of
the verb item. Maybe
he thought this was a verb derived from a noun, I do not know.
Nevertheless it is very problematic that kalmia 'word' would have an
etymon
>From "wound, cut."

Best wishes,
Hayim

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dilworth
Parkinson
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 4:23 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE:[Lexicog] Arabic root of "word" and "injure"

The explanation given strikes me as fanciful.  The word for 'word' is
kalima (pl. kalimaat) (root k-l-m) and one of the MANY words for
"wound, cut", and certainly NOT a common one, is kalm (pl: kuluum,
kilaam) (root: k-l-m).  This is according to the Hans Wehr
dictionary.  The normal word for "wound" in modern Arabic is jurH (p.
juruuH) (root: j-r-H).  I very much doubt you would find many Arabs
to whom the thought had ever occurred that there was some
relationship between a word and a wound.
Dil Parkinson

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM