[Lexicog] frequency counts as a lexicographic measure

jimmymcjim jimmymcjim at YAHOO.CO.UK
Tue Jun 7 23:43:01 UTC 2005

When working at COBUILD on the second edition of their learner
dictionary, 30 occurrences per 100 million in the corpus was a
simple guideline for inclusion of a word or sense in the dictionary
(with other provisos such as occurrence in a range of subcorpora). I
don't know how this might compare with 873 occurrences in Google...
Does anyone?

Jim Ronald

be  was --- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "Christopher
Brewster" <C.Brewster at d...> wrote:
> This raises an interesting issue.
> I feel 873 occurrences in Google is not very great.
>
> Two points:
> 1. How frequent does a term have to be to merit lexicographic
attention?
> Does this make sense in the ever expanding Internet universe?
> 2. Given the extensive discussion on the corpora list about the
> unreliability of Google counts, how do we interpret 873
occurrences in
> Google?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Christopher Brewster

> Natural Language Processing Group,
> Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield
> Tel: +44(0)114-22.21967  Fax: +44 (0)114-22.21810
> Regent Court, 211 Portobello Street
> Sheffield   S1 4DP   UNITED KINGDOM
> Web: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~kiffer/
> A definition is the enclosing a wilderness of an
> idea within a wall of words.---  Samuel Butler

It
> generated 873 hits with Google, so it appears to be a widely used
term. But
> it is not half odd that it is not listed in major English
dictionaries.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM