[Lexicog] Another lexical gap

Kim Blewett kim_blewett at SIL.ORG
Wed Jun 8 00:42:20 UTC 2005

In the area of Papua New Guinea where we work, there is an equivalent of
Spanish "consuegro." However, the Spanish "concu~no" is handled differently,
as follows:

"brother-in-law" includes 1-2 of the definition below. For a woman, "the
husband of the sister of my husband" is my *brother*; "the wife of the
brother of my husband" is my *sister*. Likewise for a man...  These sibling
terms include maternal cousins, and because of the rules for marriage
between clans, these clan relationships usually hold true.

This is a matrilineal society. Just another example of how words must be
defined in their context...

Kim Blewett

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ron Moe
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 2:13 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Another lexical gap

Perhaps the dictionary makers should get together and agree on what the word
means. The American Heritage Dictionary gives the following:

brother-in-law n. 1. The brother of one's husband or wife. 2. The husband of
one's sister. 3. The husband of the sister of one's husband or wife.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM