[Lexicog] Re: Frequency counts as lexicographic measure

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Thu Jun 9 17:59:50 UTC 2005

John Roberts wrote:
> The first time I heard this I thought, "Why do Americans always mess
> up the English language?" That was many years ago. Now I know we all
> "mess it up".

In the words of the immortal Henry Higgins, "There are even places where
English completely disappears.  In America, they haven't used it for years."

(I would consult the OED to see which verb was older, "orient" or
"orientate", but the OED is not accessible on-line without a
subscription, and believe it or not, I have too much to do to walk over
to the library.)
--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu

	"When I get a little money I buy books;
           and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
	--Erasmus

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM