[Lexicog] Re: "orientate" (was Frequency ...)

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin hsheynin at GRATZ.EDU
Fri Jun 10 17:00:14 UTC 2005

I found the verb 'orientate' in both OED and in Webster Inrernational
Ed. The compilers of OED cite literary sources starting from the 1840s.
-ate is a very productive suffix for formation of English verbs
(pontificate, liberate, regulate, vibrate, etc.) parallel to German suf.
-ieren. Both are used mostly with Latin or Latinized base. Even it
doesn't sound to the taste of some speakers, it does exist both in
British and American English, and nothing can be done to prevent or
regulate the use of these forms.

Best wishes,
Hayim Y. Sheynin

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Maxwell
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 9:53 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Re: "orientate" (was Frequency ...)

John Roberts wrote:
> Mike seemed to be suggesting that this was a recent
> "corruption" of the English language.

Indeed I did.  Again, to quote that famous linguist Henry Higgins, "Why
can't the English learn to speak?"  (And of course the correct form,
'orient', pre-dates the incorrect form 'orientate' by at least a hundred

years, according to the OED citations posted here.)

In terms of articulatory phonetics, I'm saying all of this with an
intermolar lateral.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium