[Lexicog] Dictionary of a language with classifiers

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu Jun 16 21:18:40 UTC 2005

Kim and I took our discussion offline, since it was getting lengthy and
required a lot of clarification. However there are still some outstanding
questions that I think others might be interested in.

Back in May two people on this list recommended the following book:

Aikhenvald, Alexandra Y. 2000. Classifiers: A Typology of Noun
Categorization Devices. Oxford Studies in Typology and Linguistic Theory.
Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-926466-X

I haven't read it and need to, because I find that the topic is far more
complex than I originally thought. I've identified the following issues that
I find rather fascinating from both a theoretical and practical standpoint:

1. How do they function morpho-syntactically?
1a. Are they roots, affixes, or a mixture of both?
1b. Are they obligatory?
1c. Do they only occur in certain types of constructions (e.g. only with
numerals as in Japanese)?
1d. Is there concordial agreement with modifying adjectives and/or verbs?

2. How do they function semantically?
2a. Is there a clear meaning or do they merely place the noun is a syntactic
class? (Indo-European gender usually correlates with sex in animate nouns,
but otherwise there is very little, if any, semantic correlation.)
2a. Do they reflect a very general set of semantic categories (e.g. human vs
non-human, animate vs non-animate), or are they more specific (e.g. round in
shape vs flat in shape)?
2b. Do they have a dual function semantically, as in the English set 'flock,
herd, pack', which refer to 'a group of (animals)' as well as classifying
the type of animal?
2c. Do they change the semantics of the nouns, like a derivational affix, or
do they merely reflect the semantic class of the noun?
2d. Are the classifiers polysemous? In other words can they be used with two
distinct classes of nouns?

3. How are they handled in a dictionary?
3a. Are they entered as main entries, sub-entries, or lexical relations?
3b. How is their syntactic function indicated? For instance, do they require
a separate part of speech?
3c. If they affect or reflect the semantics of the noun, how is this
indicated?

I would imagine that there are a lot more issues than this.

Ron Moe