[Lexicog] origin of the word "gullible"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri Jun 17 14:34:53 UTC 2005

Gov,

Someone wrote this 500-page dissertation with 100 footnotes per page that
"gullible" comes from "gull",
according to the word formation principle noun + ible/-able, so take a bird:

swallow-able
gull-ible

Honest!

Fritz
  1. gullible
  The term applied to both the participants in the following conversation:
  Gullible Person 1: Did you know that 'gullible' isn't in the dictionary?
  Gullible Person 2: Really? (Checks dictionary)
  Gullible Person 2: Wow! It really isn't in the dictionary!
  Gullible Person 1: Oh my God! Give me a look!

  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gullible&defid=927543

  Steve White, Jaars language software support
  704-843-6337, 1-800-215-7813