[Lexicog] Re: "orientate" (was Frequency ...)

Joseph Farquharson jtfarquharson at YAHOO.CO.UK
Fri Jun 10 14:25:43 UTC 2005

I am confused Mike. What exactly did you mean by the
correct form? Both forms were produced by speakers of
the language what makes one correct and the other
incorrect. Who is to say that it isn't orientate that
I use that is the incorrect form? Who decided on this
one?

Joseph

--- Mike Maxwell <maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu> wrote:

---------------------------------
John Roberts wrote:
> Mike seemed to be suggesting that this was a recent
> "corruption" of the English language.

Indeed I did.  Again, to quote that famous linguist
Henry Higgins, "Why
can't the English learn to speak?"  (And of course the
correct form,
'orient', pre-dates the incorrect form 'orientate' by
at least a hundred
years, according to the OED citations posted here.)

In terms of articulatory phonetics, I'm saying all of
this with an
intermolar lateral.
--
      Mike Maxwell
      Linguistic Data Consortium
      maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu

Terms of Service.

CURRENT MAILING ADDRESS

Joseph T. Farquharson, BA Hon. (UWI), M.Phil. (Cantab.)
Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig,
Germany

tel ++49- (0) 341-3550-326
fax ++49- (0) 341-3550-333
e-mail: farquharson at eva.mpg.de

AFFILIATION

Ph.D. candidate
Department of Language, Linguistics & Philosophy
University of the West Indies
Mona campus, Kingston 7
Jamaica

tel 1-876-970-2950