[Lexicog] "orientate" and orthoepists

Chaz and Helga Mortensen chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Sat Jun 18 02:43:57 UTC 2005

Henry Higgins' character is based on the orthoepists, who, from the
late 1700s on, pontificated on what was and wasn't correct
pronunciation in polite society, often using printed tracts and
pamphlets to do so. In reality, they were simply attempting to
proliferate their respective idiolects.

-Chaz