[Lexicog] Homophone dictionary by Cameron Townsend

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jun 21 00:42:19 UTC 2005

There was a discussion some time back about homophones, and I meant to
mention then but didn't have the time, that "Uncle Cam", William
Cameron Townsend, once compiled a small Handbook of Homophones, as a
hobby among his many other more significant accomplishments. I suspect
that even most SILers are not aware of that, but I thought that it
should be mentioned here. Recognizing that it was not of the heavy-duty
linguistic nature of most SIL publications, he asked me while I was
director of the Center for Applied Linguistics whether CAL would be
willing to support its publication. We agreed, and he arranged for the
publication himself. It is really quite a useful compilation, but has
had little publicity.

	Rudy Troike