[Lexicog] Shoebox help

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Fri Jun 24 21:18:45 UTC 2005

I'm curious as to why you are using sub-entries to handle forms that are
identical to the citation form. The normal way to handle such things is to
merely list them as separate senses, or if they are different parts of
speech, to enter each part of speech under the main entry. Sub-entries are
normally used for complex forms--derivatives, compounds, and phrases--that
are built on a root (or stem) that is described in the main entry. This is
the model that MDF is built on and is why it behaves the way it does. If you
had a main entry 'apostello' v. 'send a message' and a subentry 'apostolos'
n. 'messenger', then the Finderlist entry for 'messenger' would read:

messenger  apostolos, see: apostello.

This indicates that apostolos is the equivalent of messenger, but you have
to look under apostello to find it. In English we would not make love v. a
subentry of love n. or vice versa. The American Heritage Dictionary entry
reads:

love n. 1. An intense affectionate concern... v. loved, loving, loves. --tr.
1. To feel love for....

In a bilingual dictionary you would have something like this:

love n. 1. agape... v. 1. agapao....

Doing it this way, your Finderlist entries would be:

agapao     love
agape     love

So your Toolbox/MDF database entry for kokoro should look something like:

\lx kokoro
\ps v
\de to sink
\re sink, to
\ps v.st
\de to be deep
\re deep, to be
\ps n
\de hole
\re hole

Doing it this way would give you three Finderlist entries:

deep, to be     kokoro
hole     kokoro
sink, to     kokoro

Ron Moe