[Lexicog] Origin and synonyms of "wimp"

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sat Jun 25 08:26:18 UTC 2005

Fritz Goerling asked:
> Where does "wimp" come from?
> What are some of its  "synonyms" in English (American, British, or other
> variants of English)?

Fritz,

This is the entry for "wimp" (n) from the online etymology dictionary:

1920 (but not attested again until 1960), perhaps a clipped form of whimper (cf whimp, 1549), perhaps influenced by J. Wellington Wimpy, comparatively unaggressive character in "Popeye" comics. Wimpy (adj.) is from 1967.

The NODE concurs that the origin of "wimp" is unknown, but perhaps it is from "whimper".

"wet", "weed", "weakling", "wuss", (some phonosemantics going on here) "sissy", "chicken" are some synonyms.

We have the "whimperative" mood in Amele (Papuan) expressed by the sentence final postposition =mo. E.g. "wa itaga=mo" 'please give me some water' (usually expressed in a whimpering tone).

John Roberts