[Lexicog] Origin and synonyms of "wimp"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sat Jun 25 10:04:01 UTC 2005

  Thanks, John,

  "Whimper" makes sense to me as an origin. Why would someone whimper in
Amele asking
  for some water?

  As far as quasi synonyms go, English seems creative. I heard or read:
quiche eater, namby pamby,
  big girl's blouse, softie, milquetoast, crybaby. These have, of course,
different connotations and
  applications/targets. German has literally hundreds in this semantic
domain.
  Modern-day favorites are "Warmduscher" (= warm-shower taker; functionallly
equivalent translation:
  "cold-shower coward") and "Weichei" (= soft-boiled egg).

  Fritz Goerling

  The NODE concurs that the origin of "wimp" is unknown, but perhaps it is
from "whimper".

  "wet", "weed", "weakling", "wuss", (some phonosemantics going on here)
"sissy", "chicken" are some synonyms.

  We have the "whimperative" mood in Amele (Papuan) expressed by the
sentence final postposition =mo. E.g. "wa itaga=mo" 'please give me some
water' (usually expressed in a whimpering tone).

  John Roberts