[Lexicog] Origin and synonyms of "wimp"

Conor McDonough Quinn quinn at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Sat Jun 25 17:30:24 UTC 2005

Dia dhaoibh, a chairde!

There's an interesting dissertation on sound symbolism in "kecap
panganteur" in Sundanese (Austronesian, W. Java), particles which
accompany verbs and which are said to have an "inchoative" sense, though I
am still not sure I understand what's intended by "inchoative".  I don't
have the dissertation or the reference on hand, but can dig the latter up.
If I remember the facts right, there are the standard expected
sound-symbolic effects,
i.e. *blug* accompanies the verb for ''fall' if the fallee is a heavy
object, and *pluk* if it is light.

My personal favorite, and one my Sundanese-speaking host families have
always loved to cite, is the kecap panganteur that goes with *naek*
'ascend, climb': *berebet naek* describes the way a cat scrambles up a
tree when a dog is chasing it.  Whether specifically this, or just as an
instance of a broader range of meanings, I don't know.

More:

reup peureum	peureum 'night falls'
bray indit	indit 'goes'
bray caang	caang 'it dawns'
jol dateng	dateng 'comes'
am dahar	dahar 'eats'
barakatak seuri	seuri 'laughs'
blug labuh	labuh 'falls'

I must confess I haven't thought much about the lexicographic issues
that kecap panganteur bring up---e.g. the tight lexical relationship with
their verbs, akin to that of the particle to its verb in Germanic
languages, but even more idiosyncratic---but they are definitely fun to
play with, and I'd be interested in seeing if folks out there on the list
know of comparable cases.

Sla/n,
bhur gcara